Lesvos is the third largest island in Greece behind Crete and Evia. It has been virtually unaffected by the mass tourism and it is the perfect place to visit for people who want to experience the real Greece. For the Greek Island traveler who is worried about not having enough to do, Lesvos is the perfect destination and here are some suggestions according to personal interests:
- Archaeological: Temple of Mesa, Temple of Napaios Apollo in Klopedi, Roman Aqueduct in Moria, Bronze Age site of Thermi, Archaeological Museum of Mytilene, Ancient Theater of Mytilene.
- Geological: Natural History Museum of Lesbos and Petrified Forest, an UNESCO geopark.
- Modern Art: Museum of Theophilos and Museum-Library Teriade.
- Industrial Sites: Museum of Industrial Olive oil production, Olive Press – Museum Vrana, Museum of Ouzo Barbagiannis, Soap Museum Factory and Folk Museum in Plomari.
- Religious Sites: Monastery of Taxiarches in Mandamados, Monastery of Agios Rafael in Thermi, Monastery of Leimonos in Kalloni, Monasteri of Perivoli in Antissa, Monasteri of Dorminion of Mary in Damandri, Monastery of Pythari in Eressos, Monastery Ypsilou, Church of Dorminion in Petra.
- Byzantine Monuments: Byzantine Castle of Mytilene, Byzantine Castle of Mithymna.
- Ottoman Monuments: Carsi Hamam, Yeni Mosque and Valide Mosque in Mytilene, Castle in Sigri, House of Vareltzidaina in Petra.
- Hot springs and spas: Polichnitos, Eftalou, Lisbori.
- Arts and Crafts in Local Markets: Ceramics, leather, embroidery and woodcarving goods can be found in the Old market of Mytilene and throughout the village of Agiasos.